Infertility is a common condition experienced in various people due to explained & unexplained factors. A couple who is infertile will consult a fertility specialist to experience the enjoyment of parenthood and have a toddler. Hence, there is a significant demand for IVF specialists all over and doing a course in this field proves to be very successful & gains you a reputable position.
There are various individual and combined training courses and diplomas involved in this field which specialists can choose their training course as per their interest. Here are several training courses associated with IVF offered at various institutes.
Diploma in Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART)
Fellowship in Infertility- IMA AMS – 1 year
Fellowship in Reproductive Medicine – RGUHS- 18 months
Certificate Course in Reproductive Medicine – ICOG – 6 months
Institutional Fellowship in Reproductive Medicine – 1 year
Short term IVF courses – 1/3/6 months
Eligibility: General obstetrician/ Gynaecologist
Assisted Reproductive Technologies, also known as Assisted Reproductive Treatment, is a treatment method to help a patient achieve pregnancy. A course in ART covers a myriad of treatments. The cause of infertility decides the type of treatment.
The fields of study in ART include:
- Ovulation Induction (OI)
- Artificial Insemination (AI)
- Donor Conception
- In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
- Preimplantation genetic testing (PGT)
Andrology Lab Technician Course
Andrology Lab Technician course is the study of male reproductive health. The objective of this course is to urge a basic knowledge of science, laboratory and clinical aspects of male fertility. It also aims to know about the challenges faced in them. There are various segments involved within the course, and that they are as follows.
- Semen Analysis and its importance
- Scope of Andrology services in Infertility Practice
- Basic Laboratory Skills in Andrology Lab
- Setting up Andrology Lab
- How to choose the right equipment
- Choose the exact consumables and labware
- Essentials for Semen analysis
- Optimal handling of samples
- Difficulties in sample collection
- Standardizing semen analysis challenges
- Semen analysis tips and tricks
- Semen processing for IUI
- Quality management in Andrology lab
- Eligibility: MSc and Bsc Graduates in life science
- DMLT and MLT Diploma holders
- Healthcare professionals, e.g. nurses, scientists, clinical embryologists and geneticists
Basic Embryology Course:
This course offers an in-depth study of the pre-requisites, techniques or methods linked to ART. The trainees get to attend lectures, demonstrations, hands-on laboratory experience, as well as troubleshooting. By the end of the course, a student will have an honest understanding of IVF laboratory setup and running of the lab with related procedures, quality control or analysis, and maintenance. Through all this knowledge, a fertility specialist can get the highest success rates.
Some of the methods taught during this course include:
- sperm preparation
- preparation for simulation protocols,
- oocyte retrieval
Advanced Embryology Course:
After completion of the Embryology course, you’ll also pursue a training course in Advanced Embryology. This course offers a one-on-one training opportunity to the trainee and increases your knowledge altogether segments of IVF and ICSI. It also involves performing some procedures to achieve extraordinary results and a high success rate. You will learn about all the aspects of Embryology right from the basics, like, semen analysis and conventional IVF to embryo transfer. You will also receive hands-on training on all the procedures and tests involved within the field.
Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
Eligibility: Clinical Embryology, Ph.D, MBBS, MD.
ICSI may be a course that’s ideally fitted to those with good experience in oocyte handling and IVF procedures. This course gives complete knowledge and enhances your skill in handling and operating micromanipulation instruments.
This course includes the following topics.
- Basic instrumentation Inverted microscope and micromanipulator
- Loading of microtools & aligning of the micromanipulator.
- Sperm preparations, PESA, MESA
- Oocyte preparation for ICSI
- Holding of denuded oocytes & performing ICSI
- Denudation of oocyte cumulus complex
- Research instrument (RI) micromanipulation workstation
- Embryo biopsy
- Instrument selections
Vitrification or Advanced Cryopreservation Program
Eligibility: BSC, MSC, BVSC, MVSC, BHMS, BAMS, BUMS, MBBS, MD, MRCOG, FRCOG etc
A course in Vitrification gives a detailed knowledge in the purview of both; Theories & practical Cryopreservation of sperm, embryos & oocytes. This course exclusively deals with freezing procedures, instruments, and protocols related to sperm, embryos, oocyte and blastocysts. It involves
- hands-on sessions
- the study of tips
Topics covered in this course are:
- Fundamentals of Cryopreservation
- Usage of different types of Cryo-media
- Freezers & their functioning
- Sperm and embryo cryopreservation methods and limitations
- Vitrification concept, development methods and limitations
- Cryopreservation, isolation, protocol
- Vitrification and Thaw of embryo and blastocysts
Post Graduation in Clinical Embryology
Eligibility: BSc with Reproduction, Zoology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioscience or Physiology
After the graduate courses and other training courses, you’ll also pursue Post Graduation in Clinical Embryology. Some of the core concepts included during this course are:
- Gamete and Embryo Cryopreservation
- Semen analysis
- Laser Hatching and Biopsy
- Setting up a Lab
- Quality Control