Cat Scratch Disease (CSD) Treatment Market: Introduction
- Cat-scratch disease (CSD) is an infection caused by cats. The disease transmits when an infected cat licks an open wound on a human or either scratches the person hard enough to break the surface of the skin. The mild infection could evolve at the surface of the scratch or bite. The infected area may appear reddish & swollen along with raised lesions and can have pus. A person with cat-scratch disease may suffer from headache, poor appetite, fever, and exhaustion. Simultaneously, the person’s lymph nodes closer to the original scratch or bite could become tender or painful.
- CSD is caused by a bacterium also known as Bartonella henselae. Around 40% of cats carry B. henselae throughout their lives; however, most cats with this infection show no symptoms of illness. Usually, kittens younger than 1 year are more prone to suffer with B. henselae infection and to spread the germ to the people residing with them.
- The cat scratch disease (CSD) treatment market can be segmented based on therapy, diagnosis, end-user, and region. Based on therapy, the market can be categorized into non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antibiotics, and others. The non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) drug segment includes Ibuprofen and naproxen. While the antibiotics segment includes azithromycin, clarithromycin, rifampin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, and ciprofloxacin. Based on end-user, the market can be split into hospitals, clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, pharmacies, & veterinary hospitals. The cat scratch disease (CSD) can be diagnosed by Fluorescence assay (IFA), Enzyme-linked immunoassay (ELISA) and Lymph node biopsy.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Cat Scratch Disease (CSD) Treatment Market
- Increasing efforts by pharmaceutical companies for the development of novel drug therapies to treat cat scratch diseases is estimated to drive the market during the forecast period
- Demand for antibiotics is rising at a rapid pace due to a rise in cases of cat scratch disease. Increase in disease burden is further compelling government bodies to invest in R&D initiatives and fuel the development of novel antibiotics therapy and supportive regulatory policies to propel the approval process along with research funding. For instance, BARDA, in collaboration with the U.S. government has extended its support to various companies to support the development process of new therapies for cat scratch disease.
- Pharmaceutical companies are entering into collaborations for the development of new therapies to reduce the cost burden of the drug development process. However, rising cases of multidrug-resistance bacterial infections may hamper the market.
Asia Pacific to Capture Major Share of Global Cat Scratch Disease (CSD) Treatment Market
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a significant growth rate during the forecast period owing to the higher consumption of antibiotics, increase in the prevalence of cat scratch diseases, and a rise in government initiatives to develop novel drug therapies to treat cat scratch infections. Moreover, the presence of key players is further boosting the market in the region. India and China are significant markets for antibiotics in the region. Unregulated sales along with excessive consumption of antibiotics are key factors propelling the market in these nations.
- North America followed Europe, in terms of share, of the global market in 2020. The market in North America is highly regulated and offers well-developed healthcare infrastructure. Rise in cases of infectious diseases and healthcare expenditure by governments in the region is a major factor driving the market in North America. The U.S. government is undertaking numerous measures, involving antibiotic stewardship initiatives along with promoting the R&D activities of innovative therapies, to control cat scratch diseases.
Key Players Operating in Global Cat Scratch Disease (CSD) Treatment Market
The global cat scratch disease (CSD) treatment market is highly fragmented owing to the presence of various key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective regions. Major players operating in the global cat scratch disease (CSD) treatment market are:
- Abbott Laboratories
- Allergan Plc.
- Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline Plc
- Merck & Co. Inc.
- Mylan N.V.
- Novartis International AG
- Pfizer Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Transparency Market Research is a global market intelligence company providing global business information reports and services. Our exclusive blend of quantitative forecasting and trends analysis provides forward-looking insight for thousands of decision makers. Our experienced team of analysts, researchers, and consultants use proprietary data sources and various tools and techniques to gather and analyze information.
Our data repository is continuously updated and revised by a team of research experts, so that it always reflects the latest trends and information. With a broad research and analysis capability, Transparency Market Research employs rigorous primary and secondary research techniques in developing distinctive data sets and research material for business reports.
Transparency Market Research,
90 Sate Street, Suite 700,
Albany, NY 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453